A happy marriage can be elusive to some but a reality to others. I married Shirley in 1990 at the age of 22. And God gave us wonderful children after almost twenty years of marriage- Bea, Jerome (+), Ana and Andrea. I am so grateful to God for the wife that He’s given me. We realize that marriage is not just something that we coast along with. It takes a lot of hard work in order to build a strong marriage.
We are called to honor God in our marriages. We need to protect our marriage vows. After God, the most important human relationship we need to keep and prioritize is that of our spouse.
What you honor, you value. And what you value, you prioritize.
Eph. 5:22 ¶ Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.
Eph. 5:25 ¶ Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
Some of the ways that we can honor our spouse and help boost our marriages are:
• Everyday you need to listen to the most important voice in heaven. Likewise, we need to listen to the most important voice on earth – your spouse.
• Meet your spouse’s needs. Don’t just look at your needs.
• Have a regular date night. Many of the conflicts can be avoided when you have a consistent time together just to bond.
• Engage in meaningful conversation – one that has emotional connection. This requires talking and listening (on both sides).
• Respect your spouse’s opinion. You don’t monopolize all the world’s wisdom.
• Say “I love you” at least three times a day. No, its not a title to a movie but it’s one good habit that we need to have.
• Kiss passionately. Yup! You heard me right. It bonds you almost instantaneously. Medical science gives several benefits of kissing. It releases tension. It aids in weight loss. It slows the aging process. It increases fitness. It boosts self-esteem. And it prevents tooth decay (I think you have to do it with brushing.) Just to name a few.
• Have sex regularly. I’d rather not elaborate on this one.
A good, no, a great marriage not only honors God but is also the most precious gift that you can give your children.